Thursday 16 December 2010

Raising the Lycerians

   So I've played 40k on and off for a while now, my focus being my beloved marines. I currently have 3k+ of my custom chapter, about 1k points of chaos, but the time has come for change. The imperial guard have always had a certain appeal to me, the numberless march of feet and the rumbling of mighty engines draws images of churchill flicking the v sign and of brave soldiers 'going over the top'.
    Three things finally pushed me into the ranks of the Imperial Guard, first of all, I saw a Valkyrie model down at my local GW, painted to look like a sky shark, brilliant. Secondly I went paint balling,  a group of ten of us were in Gold squad, we stormed enemy bastions, fought bitterly over no mans land and executed daring flank attacks. It was heaven but what really struck me was the attrition, in some games there was a limit of three minutes respawn, after which it was one shot kill, in other games respawn was limitless (such as when were storming the enemy bastion). In those games I found that we could win through sheer weight of numbers, that really made me look at the guards way of war fare, I have tried it and it is messy but extremely effective.
   The third and final thing that pushed me was a friend of mine who gave me the starts of an Imperial Guard army when he got bored of it, this is the story of that regiment, the Lycerian 133rd. So far I have what I was originally given, and although it isn't up to my modelling standards or what I would have chosen per say, i've found it is a good start to my regiment. As I'm in to fluff and the motives behind me signing up to the guard I have named my officers vaguely after myself and the team mates I went to paintball with, and I will be using this blog to update you all on my progress and the background for my Lycerians.
So far I have;

Company Command Squad
(Lieutenant-Commander Jackson R. Bellis)
Power Sword
Company Standard
2X Plasma Guns
vox caster

1st Platoon
Platoon Command
(Lieutenant Cornelius Edwards)
Power Sword
Bolt Pistol
Meltagun
Medic (Not needed IMO, will be changing to something more suited)
Vox Caster

1st squad
Vox Caster
Grenade Launcher

2nd squad
Vox Caster
Flamer

Veteran Squad
2 x Meltaguns
1 x Flamer
Vox Caster


A nice start to my heroic guardsmen, next on the list is a chimera for my vet squad, should take me up to a nice 500 point list to get going with. Will be adding a plasmavet squad and my beloved Valkyrie after that. Will post pictures when I've sorted out the models and the paint scheme.
Lycerian High Command

No comments:

Post a Comment